"Quod me netrit me destruit."
What nourishes me also destroys me.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

He's Given Up . . .

Zane's food trials haven't been going so well. I thought that I would simply feed him a food for 6 - 8 weeks and then we do a scope. Unfortunately, we have only been able to fully complete one food trial (corn) which resulted in a high number of eosinophils. After corn we tried grapes. After 2 - 3 weeks of trying to get Zane to eat grapes, we simply gave up. It took a week just to get him to taste them. At most he would eat 4 - 5 grapes in a day and that's it. I thought it was more of a textural issue because many times he would put one in his mouth and not even bite into it and then spit it out.


After grapes, we tried pork. All was fine and went well initially and then more and more frequently he complained of stomach aches. Then about 2 - 3 weeks ago he began vomiting again. The vomiting became almost a daily ritual and then Zane's appetite began to diminish again. Then the stomach aches were so bad that he wasn't able to walk or speak at times. So, we stopped pork and gave Zane a break from food for a couple of days.


Then we decided to try tapioca. That lasted only 2 - 3 days. Once again the severe stomach aches returned and Zane simply did not want to eat them. He took one bite and told me that the food was bad because it was hurting his tummy. So, we ended our tapioca food trial.


I decided to try grapes one more time. Since Zane seemed to dislike the texture of the grapes I decided to give him only sun maid raisins. On the first day he lit up like a Christmas tree at the very sight of them. He inhaled two boxes. By the second day he began vomiting again although he still wanted to eat the raisins. I indulged him and allowed him to eat some here and there but the vomiting got worse. Once again, the stomach aches returned and his bowel movements were looser and looser. Until finally this past Sunday, Zane experienced a stomach pain like no other. He was up screaming and crying from midnight until five in the morning saying that his stomach was hurting him. He curled up in a ball in the corner of his bed asking me to help him - which, of course, I could not. I just laid there next to him and held him all night long until God finally answered my prayer and granted him a reprieve at 5 a.m. Poor Zane was exhausted from being up all night.

That day I took Zane to a friend's birthday party. Pizza and french fries and cake and cupcakes were flying around. Zane used to stand there and watch everyone eat while I tried to distract him away from it all. This time, once everyone sat down for dinner Zane went off on his own to play. When the cake came out he went to sing Happy Birthday and then walked off when they began cutting the cake. Even some of his little friends were trying to offer Zane food. He had absolutely no interest in food whatsoever. For the first time in a year since Zane was diagnosed with this disease, I didn't feel guilty about eating when he was around because he really didn't want food. Normally, I would never even consider eating when Zane was around.


I asked him why he didn't want to eat and he simply said, "I don't like food, mommy." Seems that Zane learned his lesson from his painful session the night before. He has officially given up on food. So it's true . . . One man's meat really is another man's poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment